I enrolled in journalism school with the hopes of becoming a war correspondent.
I spent four years in the Marine Corps before coming to school. The war in Iraq began close to the end of my enlistment. I served there for a few months.
My experience in the war and my interest in becoming a journalist led me to try and seek a career as a war correspondent. I would like to return to Iraq or even go to Afghanistan to cover the conflicts. I thought with my background and a USC diploma that I had a good shot of becoming a war reporter.
I want to be a print war reporter versus a reporter on FOX or CNN. Ideally I would like to be a reporter for a major newspaper or the Associated Press.
In a year or two I would like to be in a Baghdad hotel hunched over a typewriter or snapping pictures of everything I see. It probably seems bizarre to want to go back to the war, but it’s where I think I can do the most effective and truthful reporting.
After a few years as a war reporter, I would ultimately like to write fiction. Creative writing is another joy of mine and another reason I entered journalism. I knew I like to write and I thought becoming a reporter would help me refine my skills.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I know you can do it Leland! You would make an awesome war correspondent. BTW, can you tell me what the assignment is for this week? Thanks!
Post a Comment