Loud music and disco lights flooded the room while scantily clad girls danced and sucked down shots of red bull and vodka. Drunken boys cheered them on and served up the sugary drinks that fueled the alcoholic smorgasbord. It looked like the Playboy mansion, only it was in a filthier house, a frat house to be exact.
Fraternity life is something I know nothing about, and it’s a world I’ve largely ignored. But my little brother latched onto the lifestyle with zeal and wanted me to see a real college tradition up close and personal. So over spring break I decided I would hit the sauce at a frat house.
The party commenced with a line of chanting sorority girls walking single file towards the frat. I followed behind them observing intently like an anthropologist establishing first contact with the “natives”.
Since it was my first time at the house, my little brother guided me through the jungle of drunk college kids bumping and grinding on the dance floor.
My brother and I managed to get a beer then I escaped outside to gasp fresh air and fill my lungs with cigarette smoke. I learned that cigarettes usually lead to a classic sorority girl pick-up line: “Do you have a light”.
A blonde girl dressed in what looked like in her underwear came up to me with the line, “Darling do you have a cigarette.”
I actually felt bad for the girl because she had to be cold in that skimpy get-up. But she looked loaded on vodka, which believe it or not can actually act like an internal winter coat.
My brother found me outside and said he wanted to introduce me to his fraternity mentor or “older brother.” When we entered the house again the dance floor was nearly deserted. Everyone had split off to continue drinking other rooms.
My brother led through the frat house’s dark corridors toward his mentor’s room. . It reminded me of a nightmares I’ve had: I’m in dark passage way, dark shadows are darting back and forth , and the noise is deafening but I can’t tell where it’s coming from.
My brother and I walked up a creaky flight of stairs and entered a total 70s disco babe lair. My brother’s “older brother” had a small bar, large bed with curtains, huge stereo system and a gold-colored stripper pole. The frat brother poured more booze into shot glasses and in a matter of minutes, girls were dancing on the pole.
I couldn’t help but feel like I was in the final days of Roman Empire when gluttony and decadence reigned supreme. However my view of fraternities changed. I used to think fraternities were just a bunch guys getting drunk while sitting around on dirty couches. In reality they are tight little organizations that make partying seem like an art form. Getting people together to drink excessively and dirty dance takes charisma, imagination and the stamina to stay up all night. Having a good time takes work but the boys at my brother’s frat are more than up for the task.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment