Sunday, January 21, 2007

A journalist in lawyer's clothing

Recently I interviewed Geoffrey Rynex, a 21-year-old journalism student. Geoff hails from Chicago and attends school at USC where his focus is print journalism and political science. The following is an interview with Geoff on his reasons for studying journalism, and his hopes of pursuing a career in law.

Q: What are some interesting things that you have done?

A: I’m going to Washington D.C. this summer. I have an internship at a newspaper covering politics. It’s called the The Institute on Political Journalism. It’s affiliated with the Fund for American Studies, which is through Georgetown University.

Q: How did you find out about it?

A: I found it on a Facebook ad. I always wanted to work at D.C. As a journalist I want to cover national and international politics.

Q: Why?

A: I was interested in politics. It seemed like a natural way to fill out the watchdog function of the media. What appealed to me was the idea of being a watchdog and informing the people and making a difference. Journalism is a way to know things before anyone else. And I like writing.

Q: When do you graduate?

A: After Fall semester. I’ll get out a semester early. I get credits from Georgetown University.

Q: What are you going to do?

A: I decided I wanted to go to law school. I am going to have a year and a half between the LSAT and law school. I’ll do freelance reporting, or paralegal work to get me started and learn the ropes. I’m going to try to go to NYU or Columbia. I like New York, it is one of my favorite cities. I would go back to school the Fall of 09.

Q: Why did you want to go to law school?

A: I feel the law is another way of approaching politics. I always thought I could practice law for five years and if I hated it I can always go back to journalism.

Q: What do you want to practice? Do you want to be a prosecutor, a defense attorney?

A: Constitutional law is where I would want to practice, or international law.
The law is a profession that never seems to shrink it always seems to grow, and I can still make a difference.

Q: Where do you see yourself in 20 years?

A: Hopefully I will have a successful law career and move into supreme court reporting, or judicial reporting for a major paper.

1 comment:

Lindsey K said...

I really like this little soundbite into Geoff's mind. It's very informative and happens to be very interesting to me because I LOVE nyc and am interested in politics. So it completely kept my interest!