I am a more center left independent but I’m also a gun-loving smoker. In the recent elections a proposition went on the ballot that would have raised the price of a pack of smokes to about seven dollars. Killing yourself slowly should not be this expensive. Also one of my senators, Dianne Feinstein, is also a huge advocate of gun control. However the biggest supporters of my right to smoke and shoot are on the Republican side.
I know that in the political realm money walks and as I get older I would like to donate some money to a political cause I believe in. So if I don’t want pay more for a Camel and still be able shoot my 40. caliber Springfield XD I must donate money to sympathetic candidate. But who is the white knight that will champion this cause fro cancer sucking gun nuts like myself. As far as I can tell, my hero lies on the Republican side of the aisle.
Over the past 16 years the tobacco industry has donated more than $43 million to members of the Republican Party versus the $14.3 million donated to democrats. Gun rights groups and activists have donated about $15 million to republicans and $2.7 million to democrats over the past 16 years.
This is quite a dilemma because I’m not ready to hand over my money to the republicans anymore than I am ready to give up smoking or let the democrats “pry the gun from my cold dead fingers”. My fence sitting will continue until a Republican candidate presents himself as a social liberal or a Democrat features his collection of assault rifles in his political ads.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm happy to see that you're into guns. I've been thinking about buying one! What kind of gun would you recommend for me?
Post a Comment